Hi babes! 👋 We’re interrupting your regularly scheduled programming to bring you the Feminist Forecast - Clothes Before Bro's bi-weekly newsletter that will be telling you all the feminist news that made us feel something this week - whether that be angry ASF, or empowered! 💪 💕
We'll also be clueing you in on some of the exciting bits we have going on behind the scenes at Clothes Before Bro’s… sometimes before we even go public with it (so you’re basically a VIP)! 😘
So, if you want to smash the patriarchy - keep scrolling! 😉
❗TW: Today's newsletter has lots of information on racism and sexual violence against women that some readers may find upsetting❗
Personal safety app Hollie Guard!
The Hollie Guard app was set up in memory of 20-year-old Hollie Gazzard, who was stabbed to death in 2014, at the salon she worked at in Gloucestershire by an ex-partner 💔
The app was created to 'Make Hollie Your Guardian Angel', and protect you from being in dangerous situations 👼
As well as having a GPS feature, where you can track your journey and share it with contacts, you can also raise an alert if you're in danger, and record audio and video evidence! 👍
What we love about Hollie Guard is that it has the option of 'Deterrent mode', or 'Stealth Mode'! 💪
The deterrent mode will make it clear that you've called for help (acting as a deterrent and potentially scaring off an attacker), and stealth mode hides that you've signalled for help which can be useful in certain situations in which raising an alert could increase the risk of harm! 🤳
DJ Tim Westwood is facing multiple allegations of sexual misconduct by women who say he abused his position in the music industry to exploit them…❗
• Last night, a documentary called 'Tim Westwood: Abuse Of Power' aired for the first time on BBC Three, discussing the allegations against DJ Tim Westwood ❌
Who is Tim Westwood?
• Westwood hosted the first nationally-broadcast rap show on UK radio from 1994 📻
• In 2022 he was described by the Guardian as ‘a veteran of the hip-hop scene whose opinions have been able to make or break upcoming artists for more than 30 years’
• He presented the MTV UK show Pimp My Ride UK, and was also working on BBC Radio 1 and BBC Radio 1Xtra for nearly twenty years before returning to Capital Radio
What are the allegations against him?
• The documentary showed the personal accounts from seven women that accused him of misconduct, predatory sexual encounters and unwanted touching…💔
• In June 2020, a surge of anonymous allegations of inappropriate behaviour about Westwood were circulating on social media, to which Westwood responded denying any wrongdoing 😤
Why has the documentary, and this specific #metoo exposé seen such a frustrated response from the public?
• As the Guardian puts it ‘the documentary is just a snapshot of the rumours that have been widely circulated in the Black British community for years’
• All of Tim Westwood’s victims that have come forward are young black women, and people are frustrated as rumours of his mistreatment of young black women have circulated on social media for years
• For example, twitter user @ebz_tweetz alleges he used to prey on University freshers… and nothing was ever done about any of this until now 😭
• Westwood’s victims have come forward and said that they were fearing going public with the allegations in the worry that ‘racial discrimination would also lead people to minimise, dismiss or ignore their claims’ 💔
• This story further proves that the media refuses to hear the voices of young black women 😡
• In specific, there is outrage at the BBC for having had employed him for almost two decades...⏳
• When the BBC were first approached with the story and asked wether they had received any complaints against Westwood during his time in its employment, BBC responded that they could ‘neither confirm nor deny whether the BBC holds the requested information’ 🙄
• They have now, after media coverage has increased, clarified it did not "hold information that is helpful for this investigation”… 🤔
• Some find this hard to believe and are comparing the denial of knowledge about any misconduct to the Jimmy Saville case (due to the allegations that his crimes were somewhat of an ‘open secret’ amongst the BBC… 🤢)
• Capital Radio has also faced backlash for continuing to employ him despite these allegations circulating on social media...however as I’m writing this, Tim Westwood stepped down from his role at Capital Xtra 🙅
We hope that the victims are healing and we hope that the backlash on social media will encourage the media to START LISTENING TO BLACK WOMEN! 📣
• More than 20 percent of black women are raped during their lifetimes - a higher share than among women overall (National Center on Violence Against Women in the Black Community, 2018)
• Black or Black British and Mixed ethnic groups were significantly more likely than those in other ethnic groups to experience sexual assault within the last year (Office for National Statistics – Crime Survey for England and Wales, 2018- 2020)
• For every black woman who reports rape, at least 15 black women do not report (Office for National Statistics – Crime Survey for England and Wales, 2018- 2020)
This week has had its ups and downs!
• We're still working on getting out your jeans to you all ASAP- and will be sending out a batch tomorrow! 🎉
• We've been dedicating a lot of time to responding to customer queries and trying to make sure everyone knows about the delays! However, we still seem to be receiving an influx of emails. Please check your inboxes and keep in mind that we're only a small team and we're trying our best to get back to you all! 💕
• Our Mystery Designer Blazer Boxes are FLYING off the shelf... but we still have some available so check them out below! 😍